Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Beginner]What language is best to start with?

Hi, i have fiddled around with some java and c++, i even bought some books on them, but they really dont give much other than the key words and what they do, what im looking for is a language thats not so complex that a hello world program would be 300lines ;P, but something i could get the hang of quick and start programming something useful. I also get programmers block even though im not one really lol, i have a hard time coming up with ideas, since most of anything useful has already been done. Any suggestions? Thanks

[Beginner]What language is best to start with?
    Thunderofnl's Avatar Elite User C# / Java / PHP Programmer
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    20/20
    Trade Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume English... now ontopic: C++ is the best to start with. It's a language where you can code nearly anthing.
    But if you are looking for something a bit easier try C# it's a bit easier then c++ (a bit more logical for my taste),

Regrads,

Thunderofnl

TwistedFerret's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the input. will look into c#. any ideas as to what to start with? as in actual programming

Thunderofnl's Avatar Elite User C# / Java / PHP Programmer
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    20/20
    Trade Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello world?
    Otherwise a calculator

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, well im not completely noobish i have read the books and what not, i just dont really have any ideas as to what to program. it seems like there isnt much to do sometimes, but then i see someone else with their code and what it does, and i think about some things, but they dont usually pan out.

Murlock.'s Avatar Knight-Lieutenant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VB is pretty easy to get into, you can begin creating applications fairly quickly.
    Also, even if it's been "done" doesn't mean you can't improve upon it :P
    Just my two cents.

ReidE96's Avatar Archer Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Murlock. View Post
    VB is pretty easy to get into
    but is a really bad language to start with since you have a hard time progressing onto a language used in the real world. I should know, school gave us VB6. Bad times when we started on Haskell last year at uni.

Definitely start with C#. It's very easy to get going with, and it's not hard to move onto the likes of C++ or just plain ol' C after using it a while.

The-Eradicator's Avatar Contributor

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by ReidE96 View Post
    but is a really bad language to start with since you have a hard time progressing onto a language used in the real world. I should know, school gave us VB6. Bad times when we started on Haskell last year at uni.

Definitely start with C#. It's very easy to get going with, and it's not hard to move onto the likes of C++ or just plain ol' C after using it a while.
    VB6 was bad, but that isn't the case anymore.

C# and VB.NET are exactly the same, to the degree that the only difference is syntax and code in one language can be automatically converted to the other.
    The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input guys, i appreciate it

Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by The-Eradicator View Post
    VB6 was bad, but that isn't the case anymore.

C# and VB.NET are exactly the same, to the degree that the only difference is syntax and code in one language can be automatically converted to the other.
    Very very true. However, the syntax of c# is similar to that used in C++, C, Java and so on. VB is kinda on its own. Note at this point that yes, I code in vb.net, cause it's what I got used to. I'm trying to break said habit.

snigelmannen's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well id say C++ the only thing you need to create simple things is Borlands compiler and its free, otherwise you would have to get VS20XX for C# and whatnot, Java/VB should be avoided unless you want to buttfukk yourself.
    Last edited by snigelmannen; 10-13-2010 at 07:38 AM.
    " Spy sappin mah sentry! "

homer91's Avatar Active Member CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    59/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're just new to programming, I would say C# console apps, then move to C++.

The-Eradicator's Avatar Contributor

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by snigelmannen View Post
    Well id say C++ the only thing you need to create simple things is Borlands compiler and its free, otherwise you would have to get VS20XX for C# and whatnot, Java/VB should be avoided unless you want to buttfukk yourself.
    wat.

Visual Studio is free, you only need to pay if you need advanced features. And once again, VB.NET is not inherently bad, nor is Java.

Stop spreading that crap.

Sure, I favor C# and i'd recommend it because it's my preference, but that doesn't make the other languages bad.
    The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by The-Eradicator View Post
    VB.NET is not inherently bad, nor is Java.
    On Java, truth^100. There's a reason it's used EVERYWHERE. On VB.NET, the bad part is that, for a first language, you get over-used to the BASIC syntax, which is pretty much all on its lonesome. C-style syntax is much more common, so it's better to learn a language that uses that first.

kixer's Avatar Master Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by TwistedFerret View Post
    Hi, i have fiddled around with some java and c++, i even bought some books on them, but they really dont give much other than the key words and what they do, what im looking for is a language thats not so complex that a hello world program would be 300lines ;P, but something i could get the hang of quick and start programming something useful. I also get programmers block even though im not one really lol, i have a hard time coming up with ideas, since most of anything useful has already been done. Any suggestions? Thanks
    What is your goal exactly? You just want to learn it for fun, or you are starting for some reason? In the former case, I can recommend any scripting language. Learn lua and you can make your own addons or alter the existing ones.

C/C++ is a lower level language good for writing memory/cpu efficient apps. I wouldn't recommend it for beginner though. It is very powerful, but you must be very disciplined to programm in C/C++ corectly. C# is much better, but works best with Windows. Visual basic is good for starters. Java is a business language. It is very popular in "enterprise". But not good if you want to work in gaming...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast